Friday, June 15, 2007

About Me

I am an Eagle Scout and a graduate of Harvard University (A.B., 1987), where I majored in Government, and of the University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 1990). I have been practicing law (doing civil litigation) in Dallas County, Texas, since March of 1991. I have represented individuals and companies as plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of cases, including personal injury, construction, insurance, and other disputes. I have tried cases, written and responded to countless motions, prepared appellate briefs, and participated in hearings in Dallas and other counties throughout Texas. I have served as a court appointed Guardian Ad Litem for minors on eleven cases in Dallas County, to review proposed settlements and/or negotiate (as a fiduciary for the minors) the apportionment of settlement proceeds between adult and minor plaintiffs (e.g., in one case I rejected a proposed settlement of $67,500.00, fired an incompetent Plaintiff’s attorney, hired a new attorney for the child, and approved a new settlement of $250,000.00; in another case I rejected a proposed settlement of $12,000.00, persuaded the Plaintiff’s attorney to withdraw, and hired a new attorney to handle the case pro bono who subsequently settled the case for $60,000.00). (Of the firms for which I have worked, the most prominent is Susman Godfrey L.L.P.) I have also served on the national staff at the 1985, 1997 and 2005 National Boy Scout Jamborees, am a member of the Order of the Arrow, and played football all four years I was at Harvard.

Democratic Credentials
I debated on the University of Pennsylvania student television station as a law student on behalf of the Dukakis-Bentsen campaign in 1988, worked as an unpaid volunteer for the Dukakis-Bentsen campaign in 1988 (helping elderly African American voters get to the polls in Philadelphia, PA on election day; see picture below), volunteered to go to Florida to assist the Gore campaign in election law litigation in 2000 (but was told I was not needed), advised attorneys representing Al Gore in Florida in 2000 via e-mail, ran for judge of Dallas County Court at Law No. 3 in the 2006 Democratic Party Primary, campaigned on behalf of Craig Watkins (for Democratic District Attorney) on five weekends in 2006 and electioneered at the polls for Craig Watkins and other Democratic candidates on election day after I lost in the Democratic Party primary, and have had letters published in the Dallas Morning News defending Hillary Clinton and criticizing Republicans (July 7, 1996; see copy of same below) and criticizing the Bush administration’s calamitous Iraq policy (Feb. 16, 2003; see copy of same below).